Systems Administrator with strong technical knowledge of advanced storage and backup solutions, computer software, hardware and networks. You will support the computing needs of a diverse group of researchers in the areas of computer vision, machine learning, VR, and computer graphics.
The MPI for Intelligent Systems is one of the world's leading research institutions for machine learning, computer vision and robotics, studying the concepts of intelligence and autonomous behavior in artificial systems. We offer an interdisciplinary, open research environment among international staff, with connections to institutions within and outside of Germany.
Information about our department and facilities can be found here:
You will work together with scientists in the Perceiving Systems Department and related teams in order to support our computing infrastructure.
This is a full-time position. An initial contract will be offered for 2 years.
- Install, maintain, and manage researcher workstations and handheld devices (OSX, iOS, Windows & Linux), file and compute servers, departmental networking, backups, email and remote access.
- Plan and purchase new hardware and software; proactively recommend future updates.
- Monitor and respond quickly and effectively to requests received through the IT helpdesk.
- Create and maintain computer user profiles for researchers, students and collaborators working in the department.
- Maintain a secure web-hosting environment, including hardening and management of applications and services in a DMZ environment.
- Manage software across multiple server platforms: including local compute servers and cloud computing resources (Amazon AWS).
- Design and manage on-site and off-site storage systems in the order of 100s of Terabytes.
- Manage video conferencing hardware and software.
- Maintain and support departmental printers, including large format poster printers.
- Coordinate with other system administrators on campus and other Max Planck institutes; provide support cover for holiday/illness.
Additional responsibilities may include:
- Help support various specialized systems including motion capture, synchronized video capture, 3D scanning, among others.
- Support researchers in design and deployment of web based applications.
- Deployment procedures and tools for Rails and Python.
- Scalable system administration tools (e.g. Chef, Ansible, Puppet) .
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent qualification/experience.
- Proven performance as a systems administrator supporting a user base of more than 20 employees.
- Comfortable working both autonomously as well as collaboratively in a team.
- Strong written and spoken English & German. The common language of the department is English.
Please send your application, preferably in English, quoting the reference number 06.17. via e-mail to email@example.com
If you prefer to send a hardcopy application, you may do so. Please address it to:
Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems, Heisenbergstr. 1, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
The Max Planck Society is committed to employing more handicapped individuals and especially encourages them to apply. Furthermore, the Max Planck Society seeks to increase the number of women in areas where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply.
The position will be open until filled but priority will be given to applications received by February 15, 2017.